For the month of December, I’ll be shining light each day on some extraordinary women I know. They represent various fields and backgrounds, and I admire each for their passion and strength. These are bold, beautiful, brave women — artists, businesswomen, union organizers, nurses, writers, teachers, movie makers, designers, reporters, and all-around badasses.
Born and raised in California’s Silicon Valley, Tracy Hinson has had a love of science right from the start. While attending school in Sunnyvale, CA, she watched the 1998 tornado touch down just a few miles away. The event sparked her curiosity and passion for weather. She holds two degrees, a Bachelor of Science in Journalism from San Jose State University and a Bachelor of Science in Meteorology from Mississippi State University. She has worked at multiple news outlets in weather, news, and production – providing everything from surf to farm forecasts. When not at work, she is out on the farm with her horse. Star, a gray American Quarter Horse, is her trail, parade, and rodeo buddy. In 2012, she won the title of Miss California Rodeo Salinas and traveled the West Coast representing California’s largest rodeo. She enjoys playing the French horn, flute, and piano and is a PADI certified scuba diver since the 6th grade. Her dives include California’s Monterey Bay, Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
1. What did you want to be “when you grew up?” I have wanted to be a meteorologist since 5th grade.
2. What makes you the most proud of yourself? I am proud of my independence and confidence. I have moved to multiple states by myself. I’ve always been proud of how quickly I can get comfortable and make friends in a new place. I’m also proud that I am confident enough to travel and experience new things by myself.
3. What darkness have you overcome? How did you find strength? I have been gravely unhappy and I overcame it. I changed my situation and leaned on my friends and family for support.
4. Where will we find you on a Saturday morning at 10 a.m.? Saturday mornings I am just wrapping up the weekend morning Today In St. Louis newscast.
5. What makes you smile the most? Animals, always animals. I love them all.
Today’s #OneGoodThing is sharing this extraordinary woman and my former colleague, Tracy Hinson, with all of you! We are stronger together, so let’s shine a light on our extraordinary sisters! If you’d like to participate or nominate a woman to participate, please send me a note or leave a comment! What was your #OneGoodThing today? Please share in the comments! Kindness is Everything.
1 year ago today: She’s got my back
2 years ago today: Scruffy no more
3 years ago today: A warm lap