For the month of December, I’ll be shining light each day on some extraordinary women I know. They represent various fields and backgrounds, and I admire each for their passion and strength. These are bold, beautiful, brave women — artists, businesswomen, union organizers, nurses, writers, teachers, movie makers, designers, reporters, and all-around badasses.
Jesse Vilinsky is an award-winning audiobook narrator and voice actor based in Los Angeles. She has lent her voice to numerous projects, including the popular video game Tom Clancy’s THE DIVISION 2, the award-winning educational app Khan Academy Kids, and many films and television shows. She is currently the voice of Sabrina Spellman in the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina audiobook series, and was nominated for a 2019 Voice Arts Award for her narration of the Middle Grade novel After Zero.
1. What did you want to be “when you grew up?” I wanted to be a veterinarian, but then I found out how much school that involved :P. Then I started to get into the arts, and from age 12 on, I wanted to be an actor.
2. What makes you the most proud of yourself? When I take a step back at the end of the day and see that I accomplished a lot more than I thought while in the thick of everything. I’m also very proud when I am involved in a project and not only meet the expectations of my client, but also exceed those of the consumer.
3. What darkness have you overcome? How did you find strength? Being an actor, self-doubt is almost part and parcel with this job. It took me a while to find what parts of being an actor truly brought me joy, and were worth fighting for. Once I found that, I seemed to regain my strength of conviction and wouldn’t be deterred. I find strength in myself, and knowing who I truly am, but it cannot be overstated that having an amazing network of friends and family for support is invaluable.
4. Where will we find you on a Saturday morning at 10 a.m.? If I’ve got a deadline, in my recording studio. If not, with my husband walking around Downtown LA and Echo Park, discovering new hole-in-the-wall coffee shops and bars.
5. What makes you smile the most? Making other people laugh or feel some sense of calm. Also puppies.
Bonus: What advice would you give your younger self? Time is arbitrary. Do not put a limit on your ability to succeed, and do not decide definitively what you believe success to be. When you enjoy the journey, that is the success.
Today’s #OneGoodThing is sharing this extraordinary woman and my friend from college, Jesse Vilinsky, with all of you! We are stronger together, so let’s shine a light on our extraordinary sisters! If you’d like to participate or nominate a woman to participate, please send me a note or leave a comment! What was your #OneGoodThing today? Please share in the comments! Kindness is Everything.
1 year ago today: Homemade winter soup
2 years ago today: The “kids” are drinking
3 years ago today: Paisley for Paisley